A genuine concern for the betterment of the community led to the formation of Lake Norman Volunteer Fire Department. In the mid 1960’s, several volunteer fire departments were being formed throughout Iredell County. The residents of the Mayhew community made a decision they needed one for their own. The Brawley School Road peninsula had been covered by Troutman, Mount Mourne, and Shepherd Volunteer Fire Departments. The Town of Mooresville also made a truck available if needed.
In early 1966, a meeting was held at Williamson Chapel Methodist Church in an effort to form a fire department. As a result of that meeting, a six person steering committee was formed to discuss the feasibility of forming a department as well as searching for land. Lake Norman Fire Department was started with $126.81. Six different parcels of land were offered for placement of the department. A property was selected that was central to the area to be protected by the new fire department. The original station is at 1206 Brawley School Road.
On March 17, 1966, another meeting was held and the name Lake Norman Volunteer Fire Department was chosen. Once the land was secured, volunteers provided much of the labor to build the building and much of the materials were also donated. With the building erected, Iredell County provided $12,000 toward the purchase of the first pumper truck. At this time, the county provided only $750 to the department per year for utilities. The first apparatus purchased by the department were a 1953 tanker from Lone Creek Fire Department and a 1967 Ford Pumper. The tanker held 2,500 gallons of water. The pumper had a 500 gallon per minute pump and a 500 gallon tank. This was the start that led us to the six apparatus and two boats currently used by the department.
The department has grown with the community since the humble beginnings. When started, very few houses were on the still new Lake Norman. Lake Norman Volunteer Fire Department once covered the part of Mecklenburg County that was cut off when the lake was filled. “Meck Neck”, the area past Stonemarker Road, officially became a part of Iredell County in 1998.
This growth led to a new station being opened in 2006 at the current location. As the years have passed, many gracious people have volunteered at the department. It is with a heartfelt desire to honor those who served before us that leads the department to strive for excellence even today.
Board of Directors 1966
AY Neel Jr. President
Bobby Lineberger Vice President
WW Thompson Treasurer
Lamont Thompson Secretary
WW Thompson 1966-1967
Bobby Lineberger 1967-1974
Eddie Neel 1974-2001
Larry Delph 2001-2010
Andy Weatherman 2010-2020